Friday, June 30, 2017

I Know a Guy I'd Like to Emulate (Part 3 of Series)

It's when I am still and in that reflective space that I come up with ideas to blog about.  This series of posts is no different.  I don't even know yet how many people I will write about or even who the next person will be, only that I should write about people I'd like to emulate.  It's a great method of self reflection, don't you think?  That, paired with asking God* what else I should know, will definitely lead to more inner knowing.  So here goes.....

There are many people I'd like to or have already chosen to emulate and most of them are friends, some old, some new. The third mention are actually two of my sons mentors whom I know mostly through that relationship.  They chose to be small group leaders to about six young men beginning in middle school.  That relationship was meant to last for a two year period, but this group decided to stay together and now the young men are in college or recently graduated from college. I'd like to emulate these two men for these reasons:
  • They utilize various forms of communication to stay in touch with these young men, either as a group or individually.  The group also still gets together once each winter break and summer.
  • They show up for important milestones (for my son, an important milestone was a senior recital event and one of the mentors drove over an hour to get there).
  • They are good role models because they have families of their own and are able to balance the demands of their individual families with their service commitments. 
When I ask God what else I should know, what I hear is that they say "yes" when they could just as justifiably say "no."
-----------------------------------------
Now for the reflective questions which you can journal about or if you'd like to share your story, the community and I would love to hear from you!  Your comment could have a major impact on someone else.  Most likely it will be just the right thing at the right time for one of the readers. For me, God* wanted me to know that helping even just one person is wonderfully impactful.
-----------------------------------------
Reflective questions:
1.  Is there a service opportunity that you are feeling called to say "yes" to, even when you could justifiably say "no"?

2. What does God* want you to know about this (ask directly, "God, what do you want me to know?")

* I use the term God as a universal term.  You may decide that Great Spirit, Allah, Higher Power, Sensibility, etc. better suits you today.  It is not for me to decide.

Photo by MH (Colorado)

Note:  These posts are part of a broader call to do spiritual journaling (read more at CardinalTouch.net).

No comments:

Post a Comment