Friday, June 2, 2017

Challenging God to Something Better

My most recent challenge to God* is that I wanted space to write my next book.  Specifically, I wanted to sublet the apartment of my friend's daughter in the city for the months of June and July. I figured that I'd have time to get there and back as necessary, because, after all, I was letting my vegetable garden go fallow so I had new-found space.  So I said to God, "If it's supposed to be, this apartment in the city, then show me the money!"

Well, here's what happened.  The extra money didn't come, and although initially disappointing, now that the time has come, I realized I got something better.

Instead of running back and forth into the city to write and out of the city to see clients, I am staying at home, out of the city.  When I looked at this time frame more closely, I realized I have three weeks of vacation during these two months/eight weeks in which the apartment would have sat idle. Because I didn't get to sublet this apartment, what I do get is to interact with my two college-age children and spouse frequently.  There's good energy in my home, so although not attacking the next book composition, I am writing short stories and poems.  I realize that this is the less frenetic version of what could have been and it is what my heart desires.  For this I have no regrets, only gratitude.
-----------------------------------------
Reflective questions:
1.  Is there something you're being called to let go of?

2. What does God* want you to know about this (ask directly, God, what do you want me to know?)

* I use the term God as a universal term.  You may decide that Great Spirit, Allah, Higher Power, Sensibility, etc. better suits you today.  It is not for me to decide.

Photo by MH

Note:  These posts are part of a broader call to do spiritual journaling (read more at CardinalTouch.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment