Monday, April 3, 2017

What's Bugging You Might Need Attention

On Saturday I attended a beautiful religious ceremony.  I was able to really enjoy the music and the words of the celebrant.  It's when they got to the part of the ceremony where they pray for others that I got tweaked.  One of the statements was a call to pray for the benefactors and that led me to an ugly place.  It's the word benefactor that tweaked me.  My thoughts went something like this, "Oh, I guess they need to recognize the benefactors so that they give more" and "why shouldn't everyone be in our prayers?"  When I think about it, it relates back to the money thing and money is one of my demons.   I think, for me at least, there's probably some jealousy wrapped up in these thoughts because the benefactors of these stately institutions give tremendous support.  There's also my sense that if I give to something once, the organization calls again and again to solicit donations.

Obviously I have some work to do!  First, I did not consider myself a benefactor even though I am. The broadest definition of a benefactor is one who gives money or help so the prayer really was for everyone.  Therefore, it wasn't all about the money, the place where I go to first. Secondarily, when it is a cause that makes my heart sing I can be a cheerful giver, but when I need to decline a repetitive solicitor, it makes me aggravated.

So why did I write this post today?  Well, I had already written in my journal about being tweaked by "benefactor" and then when I sat down at my desk this is what I found:  on the top of my stack of papers is a postcard from the local preserve near my home.  The word "benefactor" actually appears before my name on the label!  (This is another opportunity to quote Einstein:  "Coincidences are God's* way of staying anonymous.")  Not only that, the number "365" appears in front of "Benefactor".  Guess I need to learn to be a cheerful giver and one who is also accepting of all benefactors every day of the year!
-----------------------------------------
Now for the reflective questions which you can journal about or if you'd like to share your story, I'd love to hear from you and the community would love to hear from you!  Your comment could have a major impact on someone else; most likely it will be just the right thing at the right time for one of the readers. For me, God* wanted me to know that helping even just one person is wonderfully impactful.

Reflective questions:
1.  What's bugging you?

2.  What does God* want you to know about this (ask directly, God, what do you want me to know?)

* I use the term God as a universal term.  You may decide that Great Spirit, Allah, Higher Power, etc. better suits you today.  It is not for me to decide.

Photo by MH 
www.cardinaltouch.net

No comments:

Post a Comment