Friday, November 11, 2016

What Were You Meant to Be?

I have been a crafter almost my whole life.  It's in my DNA.  My grandma did it, my aunts do it - floral arrangements, ornaments, etc.   Lately I have moved to taking art classes here and there and it has led me to consider pursuing an additional modality to practice; that is, art therapy.  In doing the research I found a book called Becoming a Profession:  The History of Art Therapy in Britain.  The interesting thing is that the author has the same name as my mother.  Maybe it is in my DNA, maybe I am on the right track with this art therapy thing?
At this stage in my life however, moving in a direction that would require me to hold multiple licenses seems daunting.  It's made me take a step back and look at my makeup.  Many times I've been frustrated because I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up.  But God* knows me so well and knows that I would not like to be cornered in to any one thing.  I really don't like to be tied down.  So then what's a person to do?
For me it's been about recognizing that I can be fulfilled by simply living, gravitating to things that I love.  What often happens is that I can do pieces of something but not the whole thing and that is enough.  For example, I think I could have been a bed & breakfast owner, but I don't have the right situation for that.  However, I love to have house guests and when I do I enjoy the planning, ensuring that I have all the right ingredients for a hospitable stay.
------------------------------------------------
Now for the reflective questions which you can journal about or if you'd like to share your story, I'd love to hear from you and the community would love to hear from you!  Your comment could have a major impact on someone else; most likely it will be just the right thing at the right time for one of the readers. For me, God* wanted me to know that helping even just one person is wonderfully impactful.

Reflective questions:
1.  Are you feeling lost in your pursuits (of career, of status - marital, financial, etc.)?

2.  What does God* want you to know about this (ask directly, God, what do you want me to know?)

* I use the term God as a universal term.  You may decide that Great Spirit, Allah, Higher Power, etc. better suits you today.  It is not for me to decide.


No comments:

Post a Comment