Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Giddy as a School girl (God is in our Enthusiasm)

This past weekend I participated in a 24 hour silent retreat.  I have done them a few times before.  I never know what the outcome will be but I always know that the time will be productive.  This time was no different but I was more excited than usual, you might even say I felt giddy as a school girl.

I think it's because I am so enthusiastic about things I have been creating lately.  The woman who provided spiritual direction at the retreat told me that my enthusiasm is tangible, also pointing out that the word enthusiasm consists of the root word "theos".  When I looked it up the listing showed a second root word "en" meaning in.  As a result, enthusiasm means "God within."  No wonder I felt giddy!!!!!  - - http://avp.byu.edu/wp-content/documents/notes/godwithin.pdf

At the silent retreat I spent some time looking back in old journals (I have been journaling for about 7 years now so I have a few).  These journals include gratitude lists of things I was thankful for from the day before.  When I reviewed one of the lists which generally has at least 30 items I decided I could write a poem based on it.  When I finished, it gave me a heady feeling.  I went on to write two more poems.

The thing is, if we give ourselves the freedom to follow what our heart desires, interesting things happen.
------------------------------------------
Now for the reflective questions which you can journal about or if you'd like to share your story, I'd love to hear from you and the community would love to hear from you!  Your comment could have a major impact on someone else; most likely it will be just the right thing at the right time for one of the readers. For me, God* wanted me to know that helping even just one person is wonderfully impactful.

Reflective questions:
1.  Have you ever put yourself in a position where you could fail but you were still enthusiastic enough to try?

2.  Can you think of a time when something clicked and you felt giddy?

3.  What does God* want you to know about this (ask directly, God, what do you want me to know?)

* I use the term God as a universal term.  You may decide that Great Spirit, Allah, Higher Power, etc. better suits you today.  It is not for me to decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment