Tuesday, October 11, 2016

When People Do the Right Thing

Over 20 years ago I found an envelope on the floor of the Acme Supermarket with over $200 cash in it.  I turned it in to the customer service desk and they said they would put it in their safe and call me in a week if no one had claimed it.

I called my grandfather to tell him about what happened because he was always telling stories about finding things like money in the coin return slot of pay phones, a bag of potatoes and cold beer (wink, wink to the last item, I just figured out that was a joke!).

Grandpa said I would never see that money again because it would be claimed by someone who had access to the safe.  Well fortunately he was wrong!  I got a call a week later that the money was mine.  It felt really good to tell my grandpa the ending to this story.

Essentially whoever had safeguarded that money had done the right thing.  It feels so good when we can count on the kindnesses or righteousness of strangers.
------------------------------------------------
Now for the reflective questions which you can journal about or if you'd like to share your story, I'd love to hear from you and the community would love to hear from you!  Your comment could have a major impact on someone else; most likely it will be just the right thing at the right time for one of the readers. For me, God* wanted me to know that helping even just one person is wonderfully impactful.

Reflective questions:

1.  Do you count on the kindnesses of strangers?  Why or why not?

2.  What does God* want you to know about this (ask directly, God, what do you want me to know?)

* I use the term God as a universal term.  You may decide that Great Spirit, Allah, Higher Power, etc. better suits you today.  It is not for me to decide.


No comments:

Post a Comment