Saturday, October 1, 2016

Coincidence or God? (A Case of Three Pings)

Earlier in the life of this blog, I wrote about my favorite Einstein quote: "Coincidences are God's way of staying anonymous."  This time I have a specific example of how this applies to my life.  I call these instances "a case of three pings," described as three separate instances, when considered together, are more than just coincidences.  In this instance, it was in the course of this last week that I have had three unique experiences with injured birds.

The first was on one of my early morning walks.  On this particular day I spied a cat bird dangling upside down, entangled by a prickly plant.  I was able to free it and it hopped into the underbrush.  Today it is one week later and the cat birds that have been in my yard all summer are gone, having migrated.  I like to think that the cat bird I freed was able to join all of its kind on the journey.

The second was a goose near the last hole of a golf course.  Its comrades were under trees away from the hole but this one just sat in the middle of the fairway, grazing lazily.  I was determined to not go around this "stubborn" goose so I walked right towards it. When it stood and walked, it immediately hobbled, having one injured leg.  I felt awful watching it limp towards its flock.

The third was in my backyard. It was a bird I could not readily identify because it was molting.  I expected it to fly off with all the little brown birds which dispersed the second I slid open my door.  This one didn't budge, however, and as I walked toward it, it just took a few more steps forward, never getting more than a few feet in front of me.  Within a few minutes it went into the brush and because I needed to go inside, I just assumed it couldn't fly and went back in.  I still wonder what happened to it.

As soon as this third incident happened I knew I had to spend time with it.  Why?  Because I have learned that if something related happens in threes, it's time to consider it's meaning.  What is God* trying to tell me?  For me, these situations related to some other pieces of my life and boiled down to how I feel after different scenarios, scenarios of when I do something good, or something foolish or I don't do anything at all.

------------------------------------------------
Now for the reflective questions which you can journal about or if you'd like to share your story, I'd love to hear from you and the community would love to hear from you!  Your comment could have a major impact on someone else; most likely it will be just the right thing at the right time for one of the readers. For me, God* wanted me to know that helping even just one person is wonderfully impactful.

Reflective questions:

1.  Is there something that keeps happening to you, the same thing, or three different related "coincidences"?

2.  What does God* want you to know about this (ask directly, God, what do you want me to know?)

* I use the term God as a universal term.  You may decide that Great Spirit, Allah, Higher Power, etc. better suits you today.  It is not for me to decide.

2 comments:

  1. I find this very intriguing! I would love to know what you determine these occurrences mean. Are the birds just the vehicle to get your attention or are they more significant than that? Is it time for you to migrate or move on but something is holding you back? Or to help someone who is wounded and/or stuck? Very, very interesting. It reminds me of my dreams. I am a very active dreamer. My dreams are rich in symbolism and vivid imagery. And, I enjoy trying to figure out what they mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Angela! For me, it doesn't have to be birds to get my attention, though as an avid birder, it is certainly an easy way to get it! This post is really about paying attention when something similar happens three or more times. Another example would be someone telling you, "You really have to read this book," and then you see a sign on a community board that the author is coming to town for a book signing and then you see the book on the coffee table at an Open House you went to with a friend. At the moment you have this third coincidence it's time to consider what has happened: is it that the title has meaning, that you are called to read this book, or something else?
    Regarding your dreams, I believe that our dreams can definitely be part of developing our inner spirit wisdom. I suggest that after you write down your interpretation of the dream and symbolism that you ask the question, "God*, what else do you want me to know?" and include what comes to you in your journal. I hope this helps! All the best, M
    * I use the term God as a universal term. You may decide that Great Spirit, Allah, Higher Power, etc. better suits you today. It is not for me to decide.

    ReplyDelete