Saturday, March 4, 2017

Say Yes, It Makes a Difference

Not long ago I had the wonderful experience that resulted from me and others saying yes to invitations. It started by registering for a day trip with a local arboretum.  My husband said he'd go with me and we traveled to the Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge to do some birding, led by a woman who guides bird tours around the world.  Within a week of that trip I contacted her to ask if she had any recommendations for us for our birding trip to the Everglades National Park.  She said yes and offered to show us slides of the birds we would see and give us some guidance on where to go in the park.  I asked her if we could make dinner for her in exchange and she said yes to the invitation.  We laughed about it then and later because when I gave her the address we learned we live in the same township.  What a small world!  The lovely thing is that we asked her if we could include some other fellow birders and she said, "Yes, of course!"  Her saying yes to dinner with strangers is a great lesson for me in putting myself out there too.  The result is that it was a lovely evening of community and common interests.  I am so glad we both said, "YES!" It makes such a huge difference and results in a sense of belonging in this actually huge world.
-----------------------------------------
Now for the reflective questions which you can journal about or if you'd like to share your story, I'd love to hear from you and the community would love to hear from you!  Your comment could have a major impact on someone else; most likely it will be just the right thing at the right time for one of the readers. For me, God* wanted me to know that helping even just one person is wonderfully impactful.

Reflective questions:
1.  Do you put yourself out there or would you rather not see anyone you know when you are out and about?

2.  What does God* want you to know about this (ask directly, God, what do you want me to know?)

* I use the term God as a universal term.  You may decide that Great Spirit, Allah, Higher Power, etc. better suits you today.  It is not for me to decide.

Photo of Miami Beach by MH

No comments:

Post a Comment