Monday, February 6, 2017

Make it a Habit (Cold Winter, Rising Temps)

     I have poor circulation in my hands and my feet.  So much so that it's hard to get them warm on cold winter days or even during the summer while inside somewhere with air conditioner blasting. The thing is I used to just suffer because the temperature was set at what it was set at, because it's what I knew.  I trace it back to my upbringing to keep expenses down by temperature control. Fortunately my husband said "You know, you can adjust it; why not raise the temperature a little when you're cold?"  So simple, why didn't I think of that?
     What a difference it made!  On days when the temperature in the house doesn't warm me all the way through, even though I am bundled in layers, I temporarily override the program until I warm up.
The thing is I forgot I did this.  It's probably because it's been a bit warmer the past few winters, and I went back to my old habit of just suffering with cold hands.  I mentioned to a friend that it is cold in my house this week and she said "I thought you just raise the temp a little during these times?"  How had I forgotten?  Why wasn't this a habit yet?  Thank goodness for spouses and friends to remind us of things we said, or practices we let go by the wayside.
-----------------------------------------
Now for the reflective questions which you can journal about or if you'd like to share your story, I'd love to hear from you and the community would love to hear from you!  Your comment could have a major impact on someone else; most likely it will be just the right thing at the right time for one of the readers. For me, God* wanted me to know that helping even just one person is wonderfully impactful.

Reflective questions:
1.  Have you forgotten one of your good habits?

2.  What does God* want you to know about this (ask directly, God, what do you want me to know?)

* I use the term God as a universal term.  You may decide that Great Spirit, Allah, Higher Power, Sensibility, etc. better suits you today.  It is not for me to decide. 

Photo by MH

2 comments:

  1. I have forgotten the habit at times of personal self care when I am in the middle of caring for someone else or a situation.
    What God reminds me of when this is where I am is that without self care I can not handle the moment or another as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marsha! I think this happens for most of us. I have tried to put into practice this mantra: God first, me second (so everyone and everything else gets my best self). It's always good when we get reminders from others that we are all in the same boat sometimes so thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete