Saturday, February 25, 2017

A Mundane Life That's Really Something

In 2009 I left the corporate world in search of a less frenetic life.  Less frenetic I got!  Sometimes it's even mundane.  In fact, I've begun to think of myself as a little bit like the author Garrison Keillor. He writes about observations of  "prairie life" which at first glance may appear very uninteresting.  I write about the tales of a work-from-home suburban woman.  I use prose and poetry.  The poems are about topics that start on my gratitude lists written in my journals.  They celebrate the mundane which I have learned is actually really quite something. Here's an example.  It's a poem I have yet to name, maybe someone with the same experience will name it for me.

A group of
Fourteen year olds
In the kitchen
Making bacon and eggs
Please pay attention

Sink full of pots and pans
Splatter on the stove
House still standing
I'll gladly do the dishes
-----------------------------------------
Now for the reflective questions which you can journal about or if you'd like to share your story, I'd love to hear from you and the community would love to hear from you!  Your comment could have a major impact on someone else; most likely it will be just the right thing at the right time for one of the readers. For me, God* wanted me to know that helping even just one person is wonderfully impactful.

Reflective questions:
1.  What's something from your mundane life that's really actually something?

2.  What does God* want you to know about this (ask directly, God, what do you want me to know?)

* I use the term God as a universal term.  You may decide that Great Spirit, Allah, Higher Power, etc. better suits you today.  It is not for me to decide.

Picture of tree in Pennypack by MH

1 comment:

  1. I work in a one person office (me). Hours can go by before someone comes in or the phone rings. When that moment comes I try to look at that moment as a chance to make a difference in someone else's life no matter how small it may be.
    God wants me to know that each person that comes through the doors is a moment and a chance.......
    I would name your poem "A Mother's Love"

    ReplyDelete