Friday, July 22, 2016

Safekeep My Heart (A Marriage Prayer)


When I was young I thought that I would not have any trials or tribulations where marriage was concerned.  I thought I would have a perfect life in marriage.  Let's face it, we all do or we would not get married!

But I know now that this is not true.  Even as we joyously plan our 25th anniversary trip, I know this isn't true.  What I have learned is that sometimes we need to turn our focus away from our spouses in order to heal or grow ourselves.  This may or may not lead to a better marriage, but we do it for our own survival, or maybe even in the cases of terminal illness, for our best death.  And this is not one-sided.  Our significant others will also have such times.  Maybe it's a time to deal with past demons or an illness or chronic body ache; maybe it's a time to go within.  I had such experiences.  And so I asked God to help me with this simple prayer:

I ask You, God*, to let my husband know that my heart is in safe-keeping for him.  I also hope that his heart is in safe-keeping for me when I am ready to receive it again.  In all these things I pray in Your Name.  Amen.

Reflective questions:
1.  Do you have a significant other or spouse and this story resonates with you?  Why or why not? 

2.  Have you been or are you being called to go within?  What are you afraid of?

3.  What does God* want you to know about this (ask directly, God what do you want me to know?)


* I use the term God as a universal term.  You may decide that Great Spirit, Allah, Higher Power, etc. better suits you for today.  It is not for me to decide.


No comments:

Post a Comment