Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Ask the Questions, I Dare You!


What is it that you want to know about yourself, your relationships, life in general?  Are some of these questions ones you'd rather not have the answers to because your gut tells you there is work to do, that the answer will be hard to swallow, that you do not know if you are equipped to make the changes?  But all the same, wouldn't you want to know?

On my forty-third birthday I asked God if I could ever have my name written among the saints.  I know, weird question to have pop into your head but I was reading Psalms for Praying by Nan C. Merrill, specifically Psalm 26, and one of the lines is a plea to God, asking that we might be considered a saint.

This was a line that really pulled at my heart strings because I felt lost and didn't know how to get to that place, so I asked God if I could ever have my name among the saints.  The response I got, what was written on my heart was "Yes, but you need to eliminate negative thoughts about what could be."  
And there it was.  The work I needed to do.  I dared to ask the question.  And don't get me wrong, the answer was hard to swallow, because it seemed like an impossible task.  At the same time, it was good to know.  And the thing is, the reminder is good for today, too, and the blessing in today's hearing is that it doesn't hurt to hear it.  

1   What’s a question that is on your heart today?

2.  What does God* want you to know about this (ask directly, God what do you want me to know?)


* I use the term God as a universal term.  You may decide that Great Spirit, Allah, Higher Power, etc. better suits you for today.  It is not for me to decide.





No comments:

Post a Comment