Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Radical Trust (Bite My Tongue)


Growing up I learned that there was a risk-taking line, a threshold, that you didn't cross.  For example, I was encouraged to NOT go into sales because commissions didn't spell security.  I learned that you needed to know where ALL your money was going.  My parents budgeted to the penny.  And don't get me wrong, the flip side is that I grew up with all the essentials... food, shelter and clothing.  But our buying decisions were always about price point and need.  And so as a wife and a mom I carry these habits and concerns into my own living.  However I am hopeful that I do not create stress for my husband and children by saying something that is fear-based (and also, by the way, is generally just speculation and NOT true).  I know that I have done this at times.  What I try to remember is that I have seen firsthand that I always have enough.  Knowing this, I try to be mindful that sometimes I need to bite my tongue and not say things that show worry.  To not say something that might instill fear in others we can invoke radical trust, knowing that God wants each of us to fulfill our dreams and that in many cases dream fulfillment requires risk-taking including things like spending saved money, taking extra classes, moving frequently, buying something that might seem extravagant to others, etc, etc.  And so I sometimes have to bite my tongue, either because my loved one are taking good risks that still scare me, or because I am taking risks myself.

Reflective questions:
1.  Do you "bite your tongue" often or not enough?    

2.  What would happen if you exercised radical trust and "bit your tongue"?

3.  What does God* want you to know about this (ask directly, God what do you want me to know?)


* I use the term God as a universal term.  You may decide that Great Spirit, Allah, Higher Power, etc. better suits you for today.  It is not for me to decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment