Monday, December 26, 2016

Finding Hidden Talents (Listen to People in Our Way)

Photo by Mark Psoras 11-16-16
     When people are asked about how and when they decided upon their career, some say "I just knew, I always knew."  For many others, undecided is often how it begins.
For me, I had no idea what I wanted to do after leaving the business world.  But during my notice period, I got help from one of the women I was advising about transitioning into retirement.  When I said I had no other talents useful as an income source, she begged to differ.  That's when she told me some of her life story.  About 70 years old already, she was retiring from clinical research after having been many things, including a nurse and an entrepreneur.  She had a business selling antique lace and was going to develop it more upon leaving the traditional workforce.  She is the person who inspired me to create a list of my talents.
     It wasn't long after that that the head of the drug safety department, a psychiatrist by trade, suggested I consider massage therapy.  At the time I thought it was a ludicrous statement, but he said I had the temperament and that it would give me the flexibility I was looking for.
     Based on these two interactions I had an aha moment.  I considered my childhood and how my sisters and I would gather into one bed before sleep and roll back and forth to give each other back rubs.  As a result, I wrote touch on my list of talents.  Turns out a trustworthy temperament and terrific tactile technique are the perfect combination of talents for a massage therapist!
     I consider these two people who led me to my current path as angels and I thank God* that they were in my way!
-----------------------------------------
Now for the reflective questions which you can journal about or if you'd like to share your story, I'd love to hear from you and the community would love to hear from you!  Your comment could have a major impact on someone else; most likely it will be just the right thing at the right time for one of the readers. For me, God* wanted me to know that helping even just one person is wonderfully impactful.

Reflective questions:
1.  Do you recognize "angels" when you see them?

2.  What hidden talents do you have?

3.  What does God* want you to know about this (ask directly, God, what do you want me to know?)

* I use the term God as a universal term.  You may decide that Great Spirit, Allah, Higher Power, etc. better suits you today.  It is not for me to decide. 

No comments:

Post a Comment