Tuesday, September 6, 2016

A Message to Pursue Passion, Not Position

Right now I am at a place I have been at least two other times in my life.  It's a time when I am being pulled into something new just by circumstance, of where I am right now in this time and place.  I could feel a pull, or maybe a push, this summer when about a third of my vegetable garden was wiped out by the allium leafminer, a garden pest, and I felt called to leave the garden fallow next year.  What I am coming to understand is that this will leave space for other things.

For sure, it's a place of uncertainty.  I am a planner and not knowing what is coming next can be scary.  It can leave my stomach in knots on certain days and on others I am so excited I can hardly contain myself.

So what to do?  First, I need to be open, knowing that God* is in this with me.  I  therefore need to consider things I am reading or hearing as messages.  A recent one for me came from tbe magazine "Living."  It included an interview with San Antonio Mayor Ivy R. Taylor who was appointed mayor in 2014 when her predecessor left to work for President Obama and then was elected in 2015, making San Antonio the first major US city to elect a black woman to office - the city is about 60% Latino and less than 10% black)

She recommended that you pursue passions instead of a specific position.  She apparently likes city planning and progress.  So when she was on city council and the mayor was leaving and he needed to appoint a successor, she was passionate that of those raising her hands, she could do the best at steering the city to a better place.

For me, this is a good reminder that we don't need to have an end goal, like being the mayor.   It's quite possible that if Ivy Taylor had to run for mayor initially she might not have pursued becoming mayor then.  It's also quite possible that the end goal might not be an end goal, it might just be part of the journey.  In my opinion only God knows, so I think I will just hold out a hand and be shown the way.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Now for the reflective questions which you can journal about or if you'd like to share your story, I'd love to hear from you and the community would love to hear from you!  Your comment could have a major impact on someone else; most likely it will be just the right thing at the right time for one of the readers. For me, God* wanted me to know that helping even just one person is wonderfully impactful.

Reflective questions:

1.  Is there some uncertainty in your life right now?

2.  Do you feel a pull in a certain direction?  Are you resisting?

3.  What does God* want you to know about this (ask directly, God, what do you want me to know?)

* I use the term God as a universal term.  You may decide that Great Spirit, Allah, Higher Power, etc. better suits you today.  It is not for me to decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment