Monday, June 6, 2016

Still a Teenager in my 40's

When I look back at my career transitions I often see fear as a constant theme.  I have been afraid of what people would think about me.  Moving from what you know to what is new is already scary enough.  But often it makes us go to that teenage space of "what will others think?"  It is sometimes enough to stop us on our path, to quit moving towards a life worthy of the calling we have received.  

Sometimes we are on the other side of this.  We think "what is s/he thinking?" when we think about choices our children, friends, family or acquaintances are making.  We may laugh at their ideas.  We may want them to conform.

Once when I was in the parking lot at the grocery store I embarrassed one of my teenage children when I yelled ahead to a stranger.  “Hey, I’ll take your cart back into the store for you since I am on my way in.”  Witnessing interactions with strangers by our parents can be embarrassing, I remember that.  But when I looked back to the time when I was starting school in my early 40’s to become a licensed massage therapist this same kid told me to "be myself and stand out."  Why?  Because even in our teenage years we learn resilience and cheer for the underdog.

Reflective questions:
1.  Are you in transition or watching someone you know/love struggle with finding their path?

2.  Where do you fall on the continuum of fear….are you sick with worry or do you feel the strength of *God behind you/them?

3.  What does God* want you to know about this (ask directly, God what do you want me know)?

* I use the term God as a universal term.  You may decide that Great Spirit, Allah, Higher Power, etc. better suits you for today.  It is not for me to decide.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment