Monday, May 9, 2016

The Teacup and Saucer



My mother-in-law gave me and her son a beautiful teacup and saucer with a plant arrangement inside it.  Eventually the plants died back and I took the arrangement apart, tape from the saucer to hold the cup in place, dead flowers and leaves, a green flower-arranging sponge in the cup’s bottom.  This left the saucer empty.  Empty is how I felt because the gift was in sympathy.  We had lost a pregnancy.
I think of this teacup and saucer sometimes.  The cup was beautiful, with flowers painted on its sides.  I seem to remember a decorative silver rim around the saucer and the cup but I can never be sure.
I asked my husband if I could throw it away because it made me sad to look at it.  He did not hesitate to agree.
Years later I began my own business and I sold gift certificates as part of it.  For no extra charge I would put something extra in the packaging.  One of the first times I did this it was with teacups and saucers, found at thrift stores and yard sales.  I preferred ones with flowers on them and rims of silver.

Reflective questions:

1.  Is there an object that pulls at your heartstrings?

2.  What does God* want you to know about this (ask directly, God what do you want me know)?

* I use the term God as a universal term.  You may decide that Great Spirit, Allah, Higher Power, etc. better suits you for today.  It is not for me to decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment