Thursday, April 28, 2016

What’s Your Story’s Image?



I had a corporate career for about 17 years.  For the last several I kept saying, “just three more years that I need to work in this field, just three more years.”  And saying that every year meant that I kept pro-longing my desires and an attention to my life.  Leaving the field was a long journey, but one that included people and ideas and signs that I was not to stay stuck.  Eventually I did leave that field but by that time my attention to me was not where it needed to be.  I had neglected myself.

Fortunately I fell into spiritual direction**.  For at least two years I met with a spiritual director who taught me how to pray.  At one of those meetings she suggested that in my prayer time I think of an image of where I was at the moment.  That image that I began to carry with me was an unattended, weedy garden.  It was a starting place***. 

Reflective questions:

1.  What image do you conjure when you consider your life at this moment?

2.  What does God* want you to know about this image? 

* I use the term God as a universal term.  You may decide that Great Spirit, Allah, Higher Power, etc. better suits you for today.  It is not for me to decide.

**For more information about spiritual direction or to find a spiritual director, check out Spiritual Directors International at www.sdi.org

***One place it led me was to a book by Harriet Crosby called A Well-Watered Garden, A Gardener's Guide to Spirituality.  I have been using it for years and it has moved me to an image of a robust well-maintained garden that needs attention, with God's help and my best interest in mind, to individual areas from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment