Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Trusting in "Or Something Better"

When I hated my job, I played the lottery often.  Now, I can't remember the last time I did, maybe because I love this 'new' career I've been in for almost 9 years now. 

But even so, it has sometimes still made sense to me to say, "I want X, or something better."  For me, X might be a trip around the world or hundreds of thousands in royalties.  But the question is, have I already gotten my "something better?"  I think the answer is yes.

I've figured out that "something better" is staying in the stillness, even during times that I get antsy and I'm wanting excitement.  So this week I'm back to the things which help me lean into the times when my house is quiet....playing the piano again (the old songs really do come back with muscle memory!) and creating plates for printmaking or some other creative endeavor like writing poetry.  Of course, there's also daily journaling, but that's a given for me, I hardly ever miss it.

I would not have guessed this would continue to be the "something better," for me, but why not?  Why can't it continue to be the thing for me, my thing?  It's what I keep hearing....that there's no need to chase the next thing or to dream really, really big.  This is where it's at, in the small sacred space that is within and around me.  If things were to get really, really big, I wouldn't be doing my things.  I get it now.  I'm going to stay here because it's still the something better I've always craved.
-----------------------------------------
Now for the reflective questions which you can journal about or if you'd like to share your story, the community and I would love to hear from you!  Your comment could have a major impact on someone else.  Most likely it will be just the right thing at the right time for one of the readers. For me, God* wanted me to know that helping even just one person is wonderfully impactful.
-----------------------------------------

Reflective questions:
1.  Fill in this sentence....God, please give me _________________, or something better.  Do you trust in the something better?

2.  What does God* want you to know about this (ask directly, "God, what do you want me to know?")

* I use the term God as a universal term.  You may decide that Great Spirit, Allah, Higher Power, Sensibility, etc. better suits you today.  It is not for me to decide.

Photo by MH

Note:  These posts are part of a broader call to do spiritual journaling which is simply journaling what's on your heart and mind and then asking God* what else you should know (read more at CardinalTouch.net).

No comments:

Post a Comment