Thursday, January 25, 2018

Examples of Aberrant Thoughts (Benefit of Meditation)

I've mentioned several times now that meditation benefits us; specifically, it helps us to actually be present to our thoughts, even ones that aren't true.  I've said that it helps me recognize this "worse self," my alter-ego.  I've un-originally named her, ok hijacked from my male psych 101 teacher, the name "Negative Nellie" (he shouldn't have a female alter ego anyway.) 

Anyway, Negative Nellie is with me every day and it's time I give some concrete examples:

This week, the day I had my scheduled mammogram, it was raining.  As I got out of my car, Negative Nellie sourly said, "Of course it had to be raining today!"

Because I meditate, I know her intimately, and I was able respond, "At least it's not snowing.  I love the rain.  Go away, Negative Nellie!"

What's great is it put me on heightened awareness that day.  So when I thought, "Why does the new electric toothbrush need to be on my side of the medicine cabinet?," I could counter with, "It's by the outlet, Stupid Nelly, and if it were on the other side, you'd say, 'Why do I have to go into his side of the medicine cabinet every day to get my toothbrush!"

Well, Nelly, stupid girl, I've had enough of you.  I know you will always be with me, but you will not be the boss of me!  Talk to you later.
-----------------------------------------
Now for the reflective questions which you can journal about or if you'd like to share your story, the community and I would love to hear from you!  Your comment could have a major impact on someone else.  Most likely it will be just the right thing at the right time for one of the readers. For me, God* wanted me to know that helping even just one person is wonderfully impactful.
-----------------------------------------

Reflective questions:
1.  Is it time for an uprising against your negative thoughts?

2.  What does God* want you to know about this (ask directly, "God, what do you want me to know?")

* I use the term God as a universal term.  You may decide that Great Spirit, Allah, Higher Power, Sensibility, etc. better suits you today.  It is not for me to decide.

Photo by MH, purposefully walking in the rain in the PERT

Note:  These posts are part of a broader call to do spiritual journaling which is simply journaling what's on your heart and mind and then asking God* what else you should know (read more at CardinalTouch.net).

No comments:

Post a Comment