Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Having Faith Means Denying Thoughts

I've told myself this, "If you say you have faith, then you must do it, you must HAVE faith."  That worked for me when I left my corporate job for a life of uncertainty.  That leap of faith has opened up a whole new world for me, and I'm so glad I jumped.  But the consideration of jumping isn't over.  I still often find myself in spaces that require me to make this decision.  I usually make the jump, but I usually need to do it with my eyes closed and holding my breath because it's scary and it often defies logic.  During times I don't make the jump, it's often because I let my brain get in the way.

Here's an example of letting my brain get in the way:
I've always wanted to improve my singing voice because I love to sing.  Only Maggie W., a friend in elementary school ever told me I have a nice voice.  I tried out for a Snow White production during this time, auditioning with the song "You Light Up My Life" by Debbie Boone and I tanked.  I was casted as a non-singing glow-in-the-dark dancing tree.  NOTE:  At other times, I'll use this as a positive example, because I did still love being in this play.  But in this case, I'm writing about the fact that this time, and many more times since then, I've been told that I can't sing.

Fast forward to about 5 years ago when I read about a voice coach at the Omega Institute.  I contacted him and found that we could do distance sessions, but when he told me it was $150 an hour, I declined.  I couldn't make that leap of faith because my brain took over.  Thoughts like, "it's too expensive," and "I won't be able to sing in front of a stranger" took control.  And make no mistake, the purpose was not that I could pursue a singing career, because I am at least a realist in this.  So I didn't lose out on that, but maybe I could have found my voice.

This window has closed for me, but it was still a good learning experience.  It reminds me that when I feel called to do something, I should do it without letting my brain take over with truly logical reasons, because a calling trumps logic.  It requires having faith and denying our thoughts. 
 ------------------------------------------
Now for the reflective questions which you can journal about or if you'd like to share your story, the community and I would love to hear from you!  Your comment could have a major impact on someone else.  Most likely it will be just the right thing at the right time for one of the readers. For me, God* wanted me to know that helping even just one person is wonderfully impactful.
-----------------------------------------
Reflective questions:
1.  Did you recently make a decision to not "jump," to get ready for a "jump" or did you "jump" and how do you feel?

2.  What does God* want you to know about this (ask directly, "God, what do you want me to know?")

* I use the term God as a universal term.  You may decide that Great Spirit, Allah, Higher Power, Sensibility, etc. better suits you today.  It is not for me to decide.

Photo by MH

Note:  These posts are part of a broader call to do spiritual journaling which is simply journaling what's on your heart and mind and then asking God* what else you should know (read more at CardinalTouch.net).

1 comment:

  1. I am trying very hard to get comfortable with a "jump" that I want to do and boy is it hard. When I talk to God about it he tells me to be patient and trust. So that is where I am most of the time. I still find myself sometimes saying "but what if......".

    ReplyDelete