Wednesday, November 8, 2017

How Do We "Know"? (Developing Inner Spirit Wisdom)


So how do we KNOW it's God* that is with us and directing us? This is a question I've gotten in response to the content of my book, Sprouting Spiritual Growth.  As is usual for me, I don't have an answer right away (I'm one of those people who has the right answer hours after the conversation is done).  The good news is the question wasn't forgotten.  I've been collecting my thoughts because it's a tough question.  Today, when looking back in my journal, I found another nugget to help me formulate an answer. 

The answer I have today is that as we develop a deeper relationship with God (we sit in the stillness, we ask for direction, we ask questions), we come to KNOW by taking notice.  Here are things to notice:

  • Our body gives us signals.  Our bodies were made to move back to equilibrium, to homeostasis.   We are not meant to stay at the edges of the continuum that is flight or fight at one end and total lethargy at the other.  Because I believe God created man, I believe that God made our bodies in a way that keeps us in relationship with God.  
  • Our minds notice when a thought is good and when a thought is wasteful.  When we move towards the good, we come into a space of self-acceptance and self-love, of God.    
  • Our hearts/souls repel from certain activities.   If we are doing activities that have been thrust upon us as "you have to do this", and "to be successful, you must do that, and they don't make our hearts sing, it's time to stop those activities.  Moving away from the activities which repel our heart will God will give us direction.  The right people and ideas will be on our path.  If we are drawn to it, we can KNOW that it is good.  If we repel from it, it is not right for us.

This is not to say that it's easy to stay in this space.  It requires action on our part.  It requires faith. This is not easy for me!  That's why I'm grateful for the reminders of the body, mind and soul.  Lately my shoulders have been tense, I've noticed it and I've journaled about it.  My heart has not been singing because I am rushing (to write another book, to follow through on too many marketing ideas).  I sometimes find it hard to not jump on what others who have been successful tell me I should do.  When I do follow my heart's desires, like in the last two days, there is a KNOWING that it's all I need to do because God is in these very simple desires (enjoy the people who are in front of you, who have asked for a relationship, who are drawn to you). 

When I recognized that my body was talking back and I asked God* what I should know about this, God reminded me to stop pushing so hard (I'm getting off the November National Novel Writing Month train), enjoy what's in the every day (look out my windows at the birds, the more I do, the more likely I'll see a migrant), come back to stillness (God waits for me here).

If this repels you, it is not your niche.  Shelley Hitz, author and speaker, said to me and other conference attendees recently, "Your niche should repel the wrong reader."  If the idea of journaling, giving consideration to your body, mind and soul is repelling to you, move into the direction that you KNOW.  
 -----------------------------------------
Now for the reflective questions which you can journal about or if you'd like to share your story, the community and I would love to hear from you!  Your comment could have a major impact on someone else.  Most likely it will be just the right thing at the right time for one of the readers. For me, God* wanted me to know that helping even just one person is wonderfully impactful.
-----------------------------------------
Reflective questions:
1.  What do you KNOW?

2.  What does God* want you to know about this (ask directly, "God, what do you want me to know?")

* I use the term God as a universal term.  You may decide that Great Spirit, Allah, Higher Power, Sensibility, etc. better suits you today.  It is not for me to decide.

Photo by MH

Note:  These posts are part of a broader call to do spiritual journaling which is simply journaling what's on your heart and mind and then asking God* what else you should know (read more at CardinalTouch.net).

No comments:

Post a Comment