Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Nature for Nature's Sake, a Turning Point

My current journal is a lovely hardbound one with the title Nature Notebook from Northwind Press, Inc.  I found it in a stack of free stuff from a gardening club and I am thankful to be the benefactor.  It has loads of lovely printed animal and plant drawings as well as quotes about nature.  The one that stays with me today is by Khalil Gibran:
Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet 
and the winds long to play with your hair.
It's a reminder of something I don't remember learning until well into my forties; that is, that it's not all about me in a man versus nature sense.  Sure, I can delight in nature, but I also need to remember that nature can delight in me.  For example, the great blue heron which eyed me as I stood at my window was possibly delighting in me, too.  I know he saw me because its neck turned as I moved from one window to another.  I wonder how long before I am able to recognize that it is the same or a different heron returning to my yard.  I wonder how long, if it is the same heron, before it recognizes it's the same eyes looking at it?  I wonder if it will sense that I am wary of it eating all the frogs and fish.  I wonder if it will be surprised when I let go of my man versus nature instinct and trust that not all will be taken?  When I ask God* what else I should know, God tells me that the heron will drop some of its feathers and leave me with beautiful memories if I let it.
 -----------------------------------------
Now for the reflective questions which you can journal about or if you'd like to share your story, the community and I would love to hear from you!  Your comment could have a major impact on someone else.  Most likely it will be just the right thing at the right time for one of the readers. For me, God* wanted me to know that helping even just one person is wonderfully impactful.
-----------------------------------------
Reflective questions:
1.  How do you delight in nature?

2.  What does God* want you to know about this (ask directly, "God, what do you want me to know?")

* I use the term God as a universal term.  You may decide that Great Spirit, Allah, Higher Power, Sensibility, etc. better suits you today.  It is not for me to decide.

Photo by MH

Note:  These posts are part of a broader call to do spiritual journaling which is simply journaling what's on your heart and mind and then asking God* what else you should know (read more at CardinalTouch.net).

No comments:

Post a Comment