Tuesday, August 23, 2016

When Work is Work, Quit! (Is it a Sunrise or a Sunset?)


Reading this title might make you mad, especially if you hate your job and you can't quit.  I get it!  I wanted to quit my job and kept saying "In three more years I should be able to quit."  However, if you do that over and over, like I did for many years, three more years just doesn't come!

But it might not even be your job.  It might be something you have loved doing, but it has become work.  For me, it is my vegetable garden.  Some veggies I start indoors (tomatoes, peppers), some I buy sets (onions), some I direct sow seeds into the garden (pumpkins, beets).  This year is the first year that I had real frustrations.  A pest to the onion family, the allium leafminer wiped out onions, garlic and leeks.  Ground hogs ate all the small, tender yellow squash and zucchini, leaving me with veggie clubs.  It has felt like a chore at times, so I feel called to let my garden go fallow next year.  I am going to quit this garden.

But remember, quitting doesn't need to be forever.  Maybe it is just a much needed break from something we've been doing for awhile.  For my veggie garden, I may decide to start up again the following year, or in a few years, but for now I feel a call to quit, to take a break, to rest.  It will open up space for other things.  So I thank *God for the allium leafminer, sort of!

Reflective questions:

1.  What hobby, job, or even person do you want to quit (even temporarily)?

2.  Why haven't you?

3.  What does God* want you to know about this (ask directly, God, what do you want me to know?)

* I use the term God as a universal term.  You may decide that Great Spirit, Allah, Higher Power, etc. better suits you today.  It is not for me to decide. 





No comments:

Post a Comment